Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Thing About Yoga


Today, the National Fatwa Council has decreed that practise of full yoga is forbidden since it combines with elements of worship. It concludes that the practise which necessitates the mantra to achieve inner peace is particularly damaging to the Islamic faith.


Yoga which consists of three part and the recitation of the mantra to achieve inner peace is a major part of the so-called exercise and evidently and logically any invocation of other hidden power for any purposes in Islam is clearly forbidden. Hopefully, the Muslims will accept this without precondition by saying that there are many practises in Islam today that originate or have their roots in Hinduism etc. If we know that certain practises have their roots in other kind of worship then the best way is to avoid them entirely. Stop giving excuses since we know and we truly believe that Islam is the Perfect and the only faith accepted by Allah. Many will thus say I am being narrow minded to touch and defend such 'petty' issue. Never mind, we have our differences but to say such as petty is totally uncalled for since little thing leads to huge and uncontrollable disaster if we don't take necessary precaution to prevent it from growing into a regrettable disaster.

It is sad when we tend to give excuses when it suits us but when it doesn't than we become strongly against it. Such has happened to me before and I am saying this out of experience and I am not against anyone here. Islam itself is a religion of advice and what I am doing as far as I realise is to impart what little I know about this religion of ours. I am not being clever here or being overzealous but lets face the music with an open heart.

We need to remind ourselves always that the world we are living is full of things that make us forget of what we are supposed to do. Life is some kind of a test, a very onerous and long test for our place in the Hereafter.

I am not being narrow minded as I believe religion is something that we cannot compromise for whatever reasons. The Fatwa is proclaimed not just an afterthought but a very meticulous process by experts and by experts I mean those who are well versed in Islam unlike me and you.


"The end does not justify the means"

No comments: