Saturday, July 4, 2009

Rain and Books


I always like it when it rains


It never occurs to me before to download books and read them from the screen, its just not the same with holding the books and smelling the 'sweet' smell of new and old books. Nonetheless, now I have been busy downloading such and now I have special folder in my desktop dedicated for such purpose. Inside, I have Dan Brown's, Stephanie Meyer's, Jeffrey Archer and my all time favourite, Ms. Agatha Christie. I never thought that downloading them will only be a matter of few minutes, maybe because thinking them as voluminous bulks. Hehe...

Last night I tried a few pages of Dan Brown's Angels and Demons, it was not as interesting as holding the book but since the story itself was interesting, I really don't mind and I will try my best to read all of them. It might take me forever but again reading fictions is to be done leisurely unlike reading academic or factual materials which need to be done speedily (or is it?). Before going a for almost a week to KM, I am thinking of 'bringing' Angels and Demons with me on my newly acquired MP4. Still for the trip, I will bring along a 'real' book, maybe the autobiography of Prof. Sidek Baba.

Reading has been my passion since I was still in primary school and I remember my passion at that time was Malay books published only by DBP and non other. Well, I may be naive but at that time in the 80's and early 90's, there are very few and limited publishers available and most of them are not as attractive as books by DBP. Sadly, nowadays it is the opposite, private publishers are mushrooming with more attractive books while DBP seems to be on the decline

Fortunately, since then my interest is English and thus I have never been short of English reading materials but sadly I am short in terms of time to read them as much as I would like to do. Talking about time, after my trip to KM, I'll be busy with my dissertation preparation. In a few weeks I intend to submit mine to the U after my supervisor gives me the green light few weeks ago. Since then, I only managed to inform the U of my intention to submit mine but that's about it.

I am not as intelligent as I want to be but I am very fortunate to have affordable hobby - reading compared to others who are into cars, computers and all sorts of expensive hobbies. But, perhaps the thing that I 'm grateful most is the fact that my hobby lets me to be at home unlike others who have to go out for theirs.

This post may be the last before a long pause since I will only be back on Thursday next week. Till then I will miss my time with my books and computer. Hopefully, all my and my students' hard work will be fruitful and we'll be able to achieve our goal! Insya Allah..

If you can read this, thank a teacher.

No comments: