Monday, June 16, 2008

Funny yet full of emotion

I have always enjoy watching funny sitcoms like Friends, My Wife and Kids and now I'm hooked to 8 Simple Rules. The latter particularly gains my attention after watching the episode when Paul Hennesy (sic) died. At first, I thought it was merely acting but looking at the scenes and how the actors reacted, I somehow realised that he really died and immediately after the show I went surfing and voila! there it was, Paul Hennesy a.k.a John Ritter actually died in 2003.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that although those sitcoms are funny but they are great in the sense that they are able to manipulate the audience's emotion, well personally I was touched watching the Kerry, Bridget and the rest mourning the passing of their beloved dad. It was really sad watching them and before that episode I never realised that funny stories could sometimes turned into something totally different from what they used to be.


Laughing and suddenly crying that is the X factor that Western sitcoms have as compared to our locally produced sitcoms like Dunia Anita, Puteri and the like. I never watch those except when I did my channel hopping due to irritating adverts on my fav channel; 711. Watching their over reactions, overacting and petty as well pity acting, I wonder if anybody truly enjoy those thrash.


Once when I was watching the last episode of Friends, I could actually felt their sadness and emotion although they were usually funny - who could resist Joey and Phoebe? While they were laughing and naturally made others laugh with their jokes and naivety, they could actually made others cried at the same time unlike again our locally made sitcoms, which I was force to laugh at their efforts to make people laugh, or were they?


Just now, I was watching 8 Simple Rules where Bridget got to be Anne Frank, the courageous Nazi victim and here I am surfing the net looking for the book or to be exact Anne's Diary! I guess watching sitcoms can really be educational and entertaining at the same time. My advice to you out there, funny things can also be a starting point for emotional things but certainly not for our lowly rated sitcoms...





"Thinking of buying Anne Frank's Diary online."

No comments: