Saturday, January 12, 2008

Fake, fake, fake

I've just returned from a long and tiresome journey from K.K. I am not use to travel a long distance and long distance means no activities, I can't read I can only talk or become a 'good' listener to my wife or the radio. Our cassette player broke down few months ago so we have only the radio as our travel companion. Fortunately, we are able to tune in to HotFM instead of the bland MuzikFm.

We took of at about six and reached K.K about half past seven. I somehow enjoyed these excursions. Away from my tiresome and routine task at the school. I'm not saying that I don't like my job but due to those commitments I seldom have the chances to go out. Usually it is to and fro between the school and my home. Fortunately, it isn't that far.

Coming back to the radio thing. Some of us are really unfortunate as we have limited choices with regards to our listening pleasure. The government owned stations are not as hip and happening as those private ones as we now that they have various regulations that they have to adhere to but could that be an excuse to become so bland and boring? Personally, their choice of songs most of the time are not as entertaining as private stations. Well, maybe this is due to my stigma that everything government controlled or owned is boring but if we look at their t.v stations, they are even worse.

Just now, I saw a drama where the Chinese actors trying their best to be convincing in Malay! That shouldn't happened in the first place. It's unnatural and thus boring to everyone. While some may opined that it is good for cultivating sense of belonging but then again they sounded fake and the actors were seen struggling to deliver. Look at Singapore, their sitcoms are better as they blend all those culture, languages into one making them fun to watch unlike ours it was torturing! It is better if the scripts are prepared in such a way to reflect the actual surroundings with a tinge of Malay, English or Indians even. Surely, Chinese especially those new generations are used to 'rojak' languages - Chinese, Tamil, Malay and English. Some may view that this will ruin the languages, true but it is even more damaging if they are forced to do something which they aren't used to. Yes, they are actors and they're only acting but acting itself reflects the actual settings in the director's view.

Other ethnics too should be given opportunities to share the screen with their own renditions of stories using local or native languages. I am sure it would be fun and entertaining to watch Dusun speaking people for a change. It proves to be entertaining as this has been done through radio sitcom where we can listen to Bu Dayang with her Brunei or Auntie Loinim with her Dusun. Not only it is entertaining but educational. We learn their cultures through the languages they speak. It is sad really to see actors trying their best? to act in a language they are not comfortable.

I am not faking this!

No comments: