Thursday, January 17, 2008

Let Us Remain as Believers

Yesterday, I read about apostasy on my friend's blog. He wrote about his previous apostasy case which as the word suggested incurred the wrath of majority of the Muslim community including our colleagues. I read about his apostasy case in the Daily Express and soon his was the topic in our e-group. The caption horrified me beyond words, "Hamid Apostate"! Such accusation was indeed serious and shouldn't be uttered as if it was natural and common occurrence. Although, it was years ago since I dwelt in legal matters but seeing that caption rekindled my desire. Immediately, I penned up something to share my views particularly on my friend's decision to take up such case and our colleagues accusation of him being an apostate.

Some were still arguing on the validity and permissibility of doing so as it involved faith and on this I am inclined to be with them. However, as I mentioned in my 'piece' lawyers or counsels are merely helping the court to clear any ambiguities and never to judge the claimant. Judging is the judge's sole territory. I also shared my disappointed as they accused and judged one of us without that person's presence to defend himself. I hoped that I had done my part in defending another Muslim's honour.

Yesterday, that friend said in his blog that the Constitution allowed such conversion and he may be right if we interpret Article 11 as an opening for conversion from Islam. However, such approach is detrimental and will seriously erode the status of Islam as the official religion of the Federation. Indeed, if such high status and the admission by the government that Malaysia is an Islamic state therefore conversion from Islam is something that cannot be allowed. In fact, Article 11 itself provides a clear and unambiguous term that propagation of other religions are prohibited among the Muslims. Conversions by some are caused by direct or indirect propagation of certain faiths. Although those apostates or those responsible will vehemently deny such but it is unthinkable for one who has been brought and taught the tenets of Islam could easily fallen into the fold of other faiths.

I'm not denying that it is the workings of Allah that one remains as a Believer or otherwise but He too has reminded us the danger of not protecting the faith by doing and following His commandments. I am grateful that so far the courts had categorically denied and rejected the applications by some to convert out of Islam. Nonetheless, it is disappointing to see weak enforcement by certain quarters of the government responsible towards safeguarding and spreading the values of Islam.

I have nothing against those non Muslims but I feel strongly against those former Muslims and by not recognising their conversion for me reflects the beginning of Allah's punishment upon them for forsaking Islam. There should be no compromise in terms of faith and belief. If we were to allow free and unchecked conversion therefore we are committing a great sin and grievous injustice to Islam as the official religion of this country.

I strongly feel that the government should not keep ignoring the gravity of this situation. Something drastic must be done immediately to safeguard Islam from being gradually stripped of its status and right. I am not saying that I am perfect or qualified to dwell in matters of religion but I am compelled to state what is necessary for I am a Mukmin! As Believers, we should not compromise on such important matter. Insya Allah.

It is better to be ignorant in worldly matters than to be poorly educated in faith.

No comments: